Show notes (description):
Today’s episode I talk about Yeye, my paternal grandpa, and what I learned about acts of service.
In today’s episode, I discuss:
- The word “burden” and how it affects how we love someone through acts of service.
- How grandchildren and those who are NOT primary caregivers are in a position to show the older person how valuable they are.
- Why one woman was sad when her adult children came over and she always had a list for them.
- a plethora of ways you can serve the older person in your life.
- How Lucy (@lucygoesadventuring) who I met on Instagram serves her grandparents (LOVE this idea and how she still serves her grandparents from a distance).
20 Ways or MORE to Serve an Older Adult
- Mow their lawn.
- Shovel their walkway when it snows.
- Help them with exterior painting (of course indoor is a possibility too).
- Offer to hang up holiday decorations.
- Offer to help them set up a Christmas tree.
- Could you help them string outdoor lights?
- Help to purchase stamps at the post office during the holiday season.
- Teach them or help them order items online.
- Be a Helpdesk for them with technology!
- Take 2 minutes to carry their groceries into their house so they don’t have to take 20 trips (just 2?)
- Offer to pick up groceries for them.
- Move their trash bins out to the curb and back.
- Be a reliable handyman or car mechanic (or at least a second opinion).
- Help them set up a garden.
- Change a lightbulb.
- Ask if they want help rearranging or moving furniture.
- Make freezer meals with them and for them (This idea is from @Lucygoesadventuring on Instagram! if you’re long distance and only get to visit once in awhile, this makes so much sense!)
- Offer to drive them to appointments
- Offer to drive them to the store.
- Offer to drive them to church.
- Offer to drive them to meet an old friend.
- Offer to drive them to their favorite bakery, restaurant, or spot.
Grab The Value of Wrinkles
If you want to bless your grandparents or even your aging parents, grab a copy of my book, The Value of Wrinkles: A Young Perspective on How Loving the Old Will Change Your Life.
** Note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means I may receive a small compensation if you make a purchase.